I always feel like it’s better to make things on my own whenever possible, rather than getting packaged or factory made foods, like making my own bread instead of getting store bought fluff that’s full of preservatives.
I’ve made these bread rolls a couple of times now, each time doubling the batch and attempting to save a couple of buns in the freezer, but they’re super popular and delicious, so I keep having to make more to keep up with demands. Good thing they’re so quick and easy to make!
QUICK & EASY VEGAN BREAD ROLLS
4 Tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp sea salt
4.5 tsp dry yeast
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or other vegan milk)
1/2 cup water
4 Tbsp vegan butter
1-2 Tbsp melted vegan butter for topping
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine coconut sugar, yeast, salt and 1 1/2 cup of the flour.
2. In a separate bowl, microwave the almond milk, water and butter until warm to the touch (it shouldn’t be scoldingly hot, that can kill the yeast).
3. Add the melted butter and liquid to the dry ingredients and whisk or beat until thoroughly combined (about 1-2 min).
4. Add another 1/2 cup of the flour and beat again until combined.
5. Add enough remaining flour and knead until you’ve formed a soft dough. Lightly flour a surface and knead for a couple of minutes until your dough is smooth and elastic, then let it rest for a couple of minutes while you wash up and grease a oven proof dish or round pan with oil or butter.
6. Shape and roll the dough into 15-20 pieces, and place them in a the greased pan. Cover with a clean and dry towel and allow to rest and rise in a warm place for about 30-45 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C. Melt some more vegan butter and brush the tops of the rolls with it. Bake in the middle of the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until fluffy and light golden brown.
8. Serve fresh out of the oven, or allow to cool on a wire rack and then freeze in zip lock bags for later.