Cream cheese in cookies!?
Yup. You bet ya. Add a bit of lemon zest and white chocolate and you’ve got yourself a winner!
Here we go, start by pulsing sugar, lemon zest and vanilla powder in a food processor.
Cream together butter and cream cheese, then it’s time to add your lemon sugar, light brown muscovado sugar, egg and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients. Then add them to your cream cheese and sugar mixture.
Chop up the white chocolate into small chunks and use a spatula to fold it into the mix. Cover the bowl with cling film and let the dough rest in the fridge overnight.
Next day, line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll 1 inch / 2 cm balls of dough and place them on the baking sheet, a couple of inches apart. Give them a little pat to flatten them slightly.
Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes, or longer if you prefer the centers of the cookies completely baked (as opposed to gooey). Allow to cool slightly on the baking tray, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Lemon, Cream Cheese and White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: about 30 cookies
- 1/2 cup / 1 dl sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 cup / 1 dl butter, softened
- 4 ounces / 113 grams low fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup / 0.5 dl light brown muscovado sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups / 4.7 dl flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 oz / 200 grams white chocolate, chopped (or white chocolate chips)
HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
- Pulse lemon zest, sugar, and vanilla powder in a food processor until combined.
- With the paddle attachment on your kitchen assistant, or using a stand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Add lemon vanilla sugar and light brown muscovado sugar to your cream cheese mixture. Mix until combined. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat again until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. While stirring, slowly add the dry ingredients to the cream cheese mixture.
- Chop up the white chocolate (or use white chocolate chips). Using a spatula, fold the white chocolate chunks into the dough until incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and set aside in the fridge over night.
- When ready to bake, set the oven to 350 F / 175 C and line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into about 1 inch / 2.5 cm balls and place in rows on the baking trays, about an inch apart. Pat the dough balls slightly to flatten a bit.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, depending on how gooey and moist you want them to be in the centre. Less time equals more dough-like centres.
- Allow to cool slightly on the baking tray, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Tutti Dolci