Every evening, I have what I call my “evening snack” or “snackie”. I usually enjoy it with whatever TV series we’re currently obsessed with (Mr. Robot at the moment). My snack is most often a cup of tea and dates with nut butter, or a raw bar. But if I’ve got my fridge stocked with some raw treats I’ve made, that’s what I’ll be snacking on. Like this raw chocolate I just whipped up the other day.
It can be endlessly varied to serve your flavour preferences. I decided to make a dried fruit version and a matcha flavour this time. How will you flavour your chocolate?
Raw Chocolate Bars
Yield: 2 bars
3/4-1 Cup raw cacao butter
1 Cup raw cacao powder
1 Tbsp date syrup (alternatively agave syrup or maple syrup)
1 tsp Mesquite or Lucuma powder, optional
a pinch of salt
1 tsp matcha powder
1-2 Tbsp dried apple and raisins
- In a small bowl over boiling water, slowly melt the cacao butter (you can also melt it slowly in the microwave, taking it out to stir frequently).
- Once melted, transfer to a bigger mixing bowl and add the cacao powder, syrup, mesquite or lucuma powder (if using), and salt. Stir until combined and you’ve got a smooth batter.
- Line two small containers (about 20x15cm / 8×6 inches) with parchment paper. You can also rub with some coconut oil to keep the chocolate from sticking to the container.
- Slowly pour half of the batter into one of the containers, and the rest into the other. Let it float out and fill the base of the container.
- Sprinkle the toppings evenly over the chocolate and place in the freezer for at least 3 hours to set.
- Chop or break up into pieces and enjoy!