I rarely buy granola because most of them have so much sugar in them that I consider them a sweet treat rather than something I should be eating on a daily basis. I prefer making my own blends full of healthy grains and sweetened with dried fruits, carob and mesquite powder. Here’s my latest breakfast blend.
OAT, RAISIN & STRAWBERRY BREAKFAST BLEND
1 cup oats
1/4 cup crushed flaxseeds
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbsp cacao nibs
1/2 cup buckwheat groats
1-2 Tbsp carob powder
1-2 tsp mesquite powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp liquid vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries
- Set the oven to 300 F / 150 C.
- Place the buckwheat in a colander and rinse with water.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the raisins and the freeze dried strawberries. Stir until combined.
- Line a baking tray with pachment paper and spread the mixture over the tray.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how roasted you’d like your blend. Keep an eye on it as some of the ingredients will roast a bit faster than others.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the raisins and freeze dried strawberries and mix, then transfer to an airtight container such as a jar.
I like to enjoy this with almond or coconut milk and chopped banana, yum!