My mom is a huge fan of chocolate, but to pass her judgement, it’s got to be really chocolate-y. For her birthday this year I made her these vegan dark chocolate fudge squares with chopped up hazelnuts in them. And they were a huge hit! These might just be the best chocolate candy I’ve ever made. So simple, yet so decadent. Try them!
In addition to these squares, I also made her a dark chocolate cake for her birthday dessert. And the cake – with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream – was quite possibly even more of a hit than these squares, but just by a touch. The recipe for the cake will be up soon!
Vegan Dark Chocolate Fudge
8 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
6-7 Tbsp maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener such as agave)
4 Tbsp almond butter (or other nut butter)
8 Tbsp cacao powder
1 tsp pure vanilla powder
A pinch of himalayan sea salt
1 cup hazelnuts (or other nuts of choice), chopped
1/2 cup dark chocolate (70-100%), chopped
- In a food processor, mix the melted coconut oil, almond butter, and maple syrup until combined and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the cacao, vanilla powder, and sea salt, and mix with a spatula until completely combined and no lumps remain.
- Add the chopped hazelnuts and stir until combined.
- Pour into a 15cm x 10cm container and pop in the freezer to set (about 3-4 hours).
- Once set, cut into squares and serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.